Friday, June 21, 2013

Bible Times for Busy Mamas

If you are like  me, it is hard to have a “quiet time”, since the house is rarely quiet! So, I thought I’d share something that has been a real blessing to me lately: the audio Bible!

We have had the children listening to these CDs for several years now at night while they are falling asleep, but I only started myself last summer, when I picked up an extra CD player at a garage sale. I used to think I wouldn’t like to listen to anything at bedtime, but I have found it to be wonderful!
Many times, I have a hard time controlling my thoughts after the lights are out. I don’t think about anything bad, but I can’t seem to shut my thoughts down to be able to fall asleep! Trying to focus on the Bible playing has helped me to keep my thoughts from wandering a million different directions while falling asleep. And, as I usually keep the same CD in for a week or more, it has really helped me to “lock it in” my mind and heart, and I often contemplate during the day what I listen to at night.  Sometimes if I’m up with the baby in the night and feel wakeful, I will push play then too.

I still try to read my Bible during the day, but getting it in at night provides a richer quantity of Bible time than I would be able to do only by my reading.  I highly recommend it, for yourself and for your children!

Postscript: It has been over four years since I wrote the above. Since then, we have moved to Brazil and had to leave our CD players behind, among other things. They wouldn't have worked here anyway, as the voltage is different. Anyway, I wanted to add a more "modern" solution that we have found to be a blessing: the audio Bible on ipod or other mp3 or mp4 device. Works the same way, and is the same blessing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment