Friday, June 21, 2013

How To Give a Boy a Haircut All by Yourself!

Giving a boy a haircut is really very simple, and in the long run, it will save you a *bundle* of money! I have always cut my children’s and husband’s hair, and it would be fun sometime to do the math to see how much we’ve saved…. but for now, I will just tell you how I cut my son’s hair. I do basically the same thing for my husband as well, just a little bit longer. It takes all of about 10 minutes, too – way less stressful than going somewhere else!

All you need is a decent pair of clippers. We got our pair for about $25 at Wal-Mart. Totally worth it! It has lasted us for years already.
I want to apologize for the video quality – this was a spur of the moment project, so it is totally homemade! You will hopefully get the idea, though. :-)
Okay, first, a boy in need of a haircut! He was not initially excited about our photo project. :-) He got into it later on, though. hehe.

One more little tip here: you can use a piece of newspaper like I did here. Just tear a little part out of one side to put around your son’s neck, and tape it behind his neck to hold it in place. Saves a lot of mess!
Okay, now we are ready to get started. Put the #8 attachment on your clippers.

This #8 attachment is what I use to cut the entire top part of the hair. Don’t worry about the sides at this point; we will get to them later. Just cut the entire crown for now. I think I go to about the area my hand is in the picture.

Okay, we’re done with the top! Now, take off the #8 attachment and put the #2 on this time. I like to keep my son’s hair short because I think it looks neat, it is cooler in the summer, and also because that way I don’t have to cut it as often! You could leave it a little longer, if you like, using a #3 or #4 attachment.

Okay, now you do the entire “rest” of the hair that you didn’t do with the #8 – all of the sides and back, the sideburns, and down the nape of the neck. The #2 attachment will acheive this length for you: See video clip below of this step also.

Okay, we are almost done! Now, remove all attachments from your clippers and use it “bare” for this last little step. In order to get the edges neat and clean-looking, as shown in the above picture, you need to use your bare clippers to trim right around the edge to get a clean line. I just start at a sideburn, go up around the ear, down the side of the neck behind the ear, make a straight line across the back, and then up the other side of the head, other ear, and ending with the sideburn on the other side. See video clip below of this step also.



Lastly, before you can declare yourself done, you need to get a comb and check the front to make sure you are straight. And, of course, if you aren’t, straighten it up. Here’s the video of that part:
THEN YOU”RE DONE!!!
And, here is the final result:

A happy boy with a fresh haircut!

No comments:

Post a Comment