Saturday, June 22, 2013

It's Not About Spanking!

Guest Post by L. Elizabeth Krueger of Raising Godly Tomatoes:

For some unknown reason, some people, even after reading my book multiple times, think it's all about spanking. No matter how many times I say that if they're parenting the right way they will only need to spank for a short period of time in the beginning, they are still spanking the same kids for the same offenses year later - and thinking this is the right way to parent! ACK!

Okay, it is really NOT ABOUT SPANKING. Yes, spanking speeds things up, but only if you know what you are doing already. If you don't get how to be a benevolent boss, then even spanking is not going to work. If you DO know how to be a benevolent boss, you won't need spanking. (And if you do, you won't need it for long.)

Here is a check list for those of you who feel the style of parenting I promote is not working. Usually, moms who feel this way will say that "spanking" isn't working for them, but the spanking part is really not the problem. Read this list and see if you can isolate the REAL problem.

1. Are you watching your children constantly SO THAT, you can stop and correct them for EVERY misbehavior/disobedience?

2. Are you stopping and correcting them for EVERY misbehavior/disobedience, including wrong attitudes (pouting, whining, laziness, anger, bickering, etc.)?

3. When you correct, do you make sure you continue correcting (this may include a scolding, standing in the corner, intermittent spanking, etc, but I don't mean to spank continually), until the child has changed his mind and attitude and willingly cooperates and obeys?

4. Are you kind and encouraging when your child is doing little things right? Do you watch for good things to praise him for? (As in: "Thank you! I like it when you obey me so quickly!")

Beside the things listed above, here are a couple of underlying issues that may be at the root of the problem if you are still feeling defeated. Ponder these if you seem stuck in the spanking rut with small children and you think you are already doing everything listed above:

1. You must make parenting your children your TOP priority on a minute by minute basis all day when they are under your exclusive rule. (If your husband wants other priorities when he's home then you'll have to adjust, but eventually you'll be able to juggle.) Kids are not a sideline, they are your full time job. Cooking and sewing and indulging in your favorite interests (even if they are something good - like studying herbal remedies to use on your family) should be a FAR second to raising Godly children. Don't view raising godly children only as the "long range goal" but also see it as your MINUTE by MINUTE goal to shape their behavior and especially their hearts toward God NOW. Everything else should STOP every time your children need any attention (corrective or encouraging) from you.

2. It will greatly help to make things black and white for both you and your children, then make what you want to happen, what you think really OUGHT to happen, happen. (This applies to attitudes as well as to actions.) Be the leader, not the follower. This is often the reason Dad can get the kids to behave when Mom can't. Dad believes he has the right to be the boss and get those kids doing whatever he wants them to do - then he does it.
Moms often start out trying to make that little baby happy. The baby is the boss. And then they often keep thinking in terms of making their children happy rather than switching over to viewing themselves in the role of director, educator, boss, mentor. So their kids continue to act like spoiled babies leading Mom around by the nose and getting whatever they want.



If you are continually spanking for more than a few weeks with no results, then you are not spanking correctly and you might as well stop. Unfortunately, whatever it is that you are doing wrong, you will still be doing wrong, but at least you've eliminated over-spanking.

It's not just about spanking. Spanking is just a little extra incentive to back up everything else you are doing to teach respect and obedience. Remember:

-If you are not watching your kids well enough, then it won't matter if you spank or don't spank, you still will not be able to change their bad hearts or behavior.

-If your children are not your top priority, then it doesn't matter if you spank or don't spank, you still will have problems with them that you won't be able to correct.

-If you are constantly critical of them or irritated by them, then it doesn't really matter if you spank or not, you will still lose their hearts eventually.

-If you give them to others to raise or influence, then it really won't matter much if you spank or not, because others are doing the real raising and influencing.



So my best advice is to figure out what OTHER things you are doing wrong before you start spanking again - for anything more than serious misbehavior. If you can figure this out you should not need to spank very much at all.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I am Tosin. I wish to narrate how I was permanently healed from Diabetes type 2 via a naturopathic herbal method.

    My mom had suffered from diabetes Mellitus and which had caused her early death when I was a toddler. I have also lived to have suffered, unbeknownst, from this terrible disease in my youth age, and of which has resulted in several health complications I had experienced in my lifetime. I was thus, placed on an insulin medication as I also had maintained a healthy diet and regular exercises. This mode of treatment had persisted a long time without any rightful hope for a healthy personality in the future. I was dying piecemeal, and of all qualities, I had desired for was to become a normal person again. I prayed and never had stopped believing Providence was preparing better opportunities on my behalf.

    It was during my endless search for a positive remedy for my condition that I had stumbled upon the marvelous herbal works of Dr. Utu Herbal Cure and his everlasting motive in eliminating all viral diseases naturally. This African herbalist whom I had realized was also a natural healer and activist of the herbal works of his ancient fathers. I was very relieved at receiving this piece of information as I was very tempted to contact this African natural healer Dr. Utu about the betterment of my condition. I had given this herbal doctor every piece of information he had needed to save my life and I was highly marveled at his generosity in wanting to help me attain a normal life again. I had followed his herbal recommendations and after a few weeks, I had soon started seeing good changes in my health life. It was too real to be true, but it was as when I was later diagnosed to be un-diabetic.

    This miraculous change in my health life had occurred a few months ago and I am very much as pleased to share this piece of information every moment because it means so much to me as to be healthy again, and I know inwardly, that it would also mean so much to other people who happen to be suffering from this disease and would also prefer a normal life too. I wish to use this message to give confidence to those who would by chance happen to come across this information to be hopeful and find a confidant like Dr. Utu in overcoming their health problems. You can be healthy today for a healthier tomorrow by reaching this good herbal doctor for help and assistance. I would also encourage this piece of information to be shared among friends and loved ones to create a positive awareness.

    You can reach out to this herbal doctor directly via the detailed means below:

    Email: drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    WhatsApp: +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete