Saturday, June 22, 2013

“ME” TIME

“ME” TIME
Guest Post by L. Elizabeth Krueger from Raising Godly Tomatoes

I was about to write that I just got up to a nice quiet house and was sitting in the sun, looking at the lake and enjoying my morning cup of coffee (ok, it's really a chocolate diet shake – I don’t drink coffee), ALL ALONE....but then I realized that I'm not alone. My 24yo son was already at the table when I got here and we just had a nice conversation about toasting my homemade bread and about the sad state of affairs in Detroit when they want to elect a basketball player to be mayor. Hmmm. I guess what I'm trying to say is that apparently I've learned to enjoy "solitude" even when I'm not technically alone.

Twenty some years ago, when our family changed dramatically for the better, we changed more than the way we were disciplining. We threw out the popular blue print for the way even the churches were saying you should live. One thing we did for our marriage was decide we would aim at being "ONE" in a practical way, by not ever spending the night apart. If my husband had to travel for business, I went with him. No more overnight golf outings unless I came too. No more out-of-state weekend cat shows for me unless he came too. As we aimed at "oneness", other things began to fall by the wayside: No more separate Bible studies, no girl's night out. We began shopping together more and more and making a conscious effort to think of each other as an inseparable pair.

Then we looked at our family and decided that if we wanted a close family we needed to aim at togetherness there too. That was the end of Sunday School with its separate classes for different genders and ages. That was the end of "Date Night" and babysitters. That's what started us taking our children everywhere possible with us.

Next we moved back to our hometown and near our extended families. We bought the house directly behind my husband’s grandparents and then helped his parents move close by too. God mysteriously started blessing us tremendously about that same time. Hmmm.

Anyway, my thinking and my aim at home every day changed then too. I am not a natural "baby lover". I'm not even a natural "kid person". I love being alone and doing alone things. When I do a project, I like to do it alone, so I can do it my way - and uninterrupted. I like quietly reading for hours. I like taking walks alone along the lake. I like being "alone with my thoughts". But I changed. I changed because what was most important to me was having a close lovely godly family, and I didn't think aiming at my personal preference for solitude would contribute to that. I thought aiming at togetherness and availability with my children and spouse would.

So I changed. I learn to do the things I enjoy WITH my children near me. I learned to include my children in the things I like to do, for example, letting my toddlers play with my button box while I sewed, or letting them put bows in my hair while I read. I gave up time with girlfriends and hobbies that took me out of my home and/or away from my family. I kept in touch with occasional phone calls but really tried to stay HOME. Some things I had to put on hold for years, like horseback riding. Others I learned to do differently so they’d fit into our new “together” lifestyle. For example, I learned to sew in small blocks of time as opposed to the hours I used to do all at once (while sending the kids off the play). I learned to let the kids get involved and "help" me do many things that would have been a lot easier for me to do by myself (like cooking dinner and cleaning the house).

So no, I don’t believe in “me” time. Not now that I have children. I do manage to find time to do things that I like to do (I have lots of interests and "hobbies"), but my family always comes first. I really would feel uncomfortable setting aside a "me time" for myself every day. I certainly don't think I should "need" it to "regroup". Regroup from what? The time I spend with my kids is wonderful now that I’ve changed my ways. I don't need to regroup from them. Being with them relaxes me. It makes me feel very happy. No "me time" for me!

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I am Tosin. I want to narrate how I was completely restored from Diabetes type 2 via a naturopathic herbal method.

    My mom had suffered from diabetes Mellitus and which had resulted in her early death when I was a toddler. I have also lived to have suffered, unbeknownst, from this terrible disease in my youth age, and of which has resulted in several health complications I had experienced in my lifetime. I was thus, placed on an insulin medication as I also had maintained a healthy diet and regular exercises. This mode of treatment had persisted a long time without any rightful hope for a healthy personality in the future. I was dying piecemeal, and of all qualities, I had desired for was to become a normal person again. I prayed and never had stopped believing Providence was preparing better opportunities on my behalf.

    It was during my endless search for a positive remedy for my condition that I had stumbled upon the marvelous herbal works of Dr. Utu Herbal Cure and his everlasting motive in eliminating all viral diseases naturally. This African herbalist whom I had realized was also a natural healer and activist of the herbal works of his ancient fathers. I was very relieved at receiving this piece of information as I was very tempted to contact this African natural healer Dr. Utu about the betterment of my condition. I had given this herbal doctor every piece of information he had needed to save my life and I was highly marveled at his generosity in wanting to help me attain a normal life again. I had followed his herbal recommendations and after a few weeks, I had soon started seeing good changes in my health life. It was too real to be true, but it was as when I was later diagnosed to be un-diabetic.

    This miraculous change in my health life had occurred a few months ago and I am very much as pleased to share this piece of information every moment because it means so much to me as to be healthy again, and I know inwardly, that it would also mean so much to other people who happen to be suffering from this disease and would also prefer a normal life too. I wish to use this message to give confidence to those who would by chance happen to come across this information to be hopeful and find a confidant like Dr. Utu in overcoming their health problems. You can be healthy today for a healthier tomorrow by reaching this good herbal doctor for help and assistance. I would also encourage this piece of information to be shared among friends and loved ones to create a positive awareness.

    You can reach out to this herbal doctor directly via the detailed means below:

    Email: drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    WhatsApp: +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete