Saturday, June 22, 2013

My Method of Potty Training- Relaxed and Simple

My Method of Potty Training- Relaxed and Simple

I really don’t have a real high-tech or well thought out strategy for potty training my children, but as I was counseling a first-time mom through a potty crisis a couple weeks ago, I thought a few points might be worth writing about.


I have done infant potty training with all of my children. That works great when they are little. They just seem to know to go when held over a receptacle. It is truly amazing! However, for my babies at least, they quit wanting to go somewhere around 8-10 months or so…. (Haven’t figured out how to overcome that one yet. Tips welcome!)

So I eventually have to go though the official removal of diapers once they are toddling about.  Let me say here that I am a fan of early potty training, as in somewhere between 18 months to 2 years, for many reasons which I will not expound on here.  When they get to that age, and it is a convenient time for me (no family vacations coming up, etc.), I just take their (cloth) diapers off.   

I try to start at a time when I am going to be mostly home for a few days so we can work on it. I don’t do “boot camp” style potty training, although I wish I did! Maybe next time. But so far, I have taken a fairly relaxed approach. I just start setting the child on the potty. I try to get them to sit there for as long as it takes until they tinkle. Read them a book, or whatever.  The sound of running water often speeds things up too. :-)

That first time we “catch a pee” is always monumental!  We sing and dance and make a big hoopla of it!  Then I put the child in training pants. (NO pull-ups!!)  And I continue to take the child as often as necessary – like every 20 minutes or so to begin with, in an effort to avoid accidents on the floor. I sometimes set a timer so I remember to take the child again.

Eventually that accident will happen (probably sooner rather than later!).  Take it as a good opportunity to teach. Have the child help you wipe it up and say in a calm tone, “Oh, this was a no-no. We want to go potty in the toilet now that you are such a big boy/girl!”

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

This is usually fun for the child in the beginning, while they are learning a new skill. But, it seems that they eventually get tired of it and start to resist.  This is when I start offering rewards. I guess you could call it a bribe, and I am definitely not a fan of bribing your children to do anything, but I guess I make a small exception for potty issues. Hehe. I have used stickers, raisins, etc.  This can be highly motivating!!



TWO MAJOR POINTS THAT OFTEN STRESS OUT POTTY TRAINING MOMS

One: Don’t be afraid of putting your child back in a diaper when you are going to go out. It really is OKAY!  I was so afraid with my first child that I was going to confuse him and then we would have to backtrack, etc, but I have come to think it really is okay and children are resilient. So, if you have a long car ride or a day at the zoo or whatever, do what you can, take them to the bathroom when you can, but don’t stress about having them in diapers again for the day, when you are still in the early stages of potty training.

Two: I have heard many express frustrations about their child not telling them when they have to go. I can relate. My first child would *always* go when I took him, and if I took him often enough, he would stay dry, but I didn’t think he was really trained, because he would never tell me when he had to go!  I got so frustrated about the fact that he wouldn’t tell me that I just put him back in diapers for a week, after quite a while without them!  Well, I have changed my thinking on this one too! I have found that most children are capable of staying dry as long as you take them potty often enough, but will NOT tell you they have to go for a couple of months after training starts. I would imagine this is especially true when you are training the under 2 years old crowd.  Don’t lose heart or give up. You are still training your child, to want to feel dry, to get used to going in the toilet, etc. He or she will start telling you soon!



NIGHT TIME TRAINING

It is good to begin limiting drinks after dinnertime, and only allowing water in the evening. I have also found it helpful to take them 3-4 times in the last hour before bed to make sure they get as much out as possible! However, in my experience, they will night train when they are ready and not any sooner.  I had one that night trained before day training!  And, the other two took quite a few months after day training to begin staying dry at night.  Again, don’t stress about putting a diaper on for sleep times. It is okay and they will get it eventually.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I am Tosin. I wish to narrate how I was permanently healed from Diabetes type 2 via a naturopathic herbal method.

    My mom had suffered from diabetes Mellitus and which had caused her early death when I was a toddler. I have also lived to have suffered, unbeknownst, from this terrible disease in my youth age, and of which has resulted in several health complications I had experienced in my lifetime. I was thus, placed on an insulin medication as I also had maintained a healthy diet and regular exercises. This mode of treatment had persisted a long time without any rightful hope for a healthy personality in the future. I was dying piecemeal, and of all qualities, I had desired for was to become a normal person again. I prayed and never had stopped believing Providence was preparing better opportunities on my behalf.

    It was during my endless search for a positive remedy for my condition that I had stumbled upon the marvelous herbal works of Dr. Utu Herbal Cure and his everlasting motive in eliminating all viral diseases naturally. This African herbalist whom I had realized was also a natural healer and activist of the herbal works of his ancient fathers. I was very relieved at receiving this piece of information as I was very tempted to contact this African natural healer Dr. Utu about the betterment of my condition. I had given this herbal doctor every piece of information he had needed to save my life and I was highly marveled at his generosity in wanting to help me attain a normal life again. I had followed his herbal recommendations and after a few weeks, I had soon started seeing good changes in my health life. It was too real to be true, but it was as when I was later diagnosed to be un-diabetic.

    This miraculous change in my health life had occurred a few months ago and I am very much as pleased to share this piece of information every moment because it means so much to me as to be healthy again, and I know inwardly, that it would also mean so much to other people who happen to be suffering from this disease and would also prefer a normal life too. I wish to use this message to give confidence to those who would by chance happen to come across this information to be hopeful and find a confidant like Dr. Utu in overcoming their health problems. You can be healthy today for a healthier tomorrow by reaching this good herbal doctor for help and assistance. I would also encourage this piece of information to be shared among friends and loved ones to create a positive awareness.

    You can reach out to this herbal doctor directly via the detailed means below:

    Email: drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    WhatsApp: +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete